The Core

Why We Are Here => Hardware & Technology => Topic started by: ergophobe on October 06, 2026, 05:48:30 PM

Title: Markdown comes to Google Docs
Post by: ergophobe on October 06, 2026, 05:48:30 PM
I always did this with a plug-in that semi-decently rendered MD from a Google doc, but i couldn't go round trip.

Now it looks like MD support will be built in

https://www.ghacks.net/2026/10/06/google-docs-adds-native-markdown-file-editing-with-rendered-md-previews-in-google-drive/
Title: Re: Markdown comes to Google Docs
Post by: rcjordan on October 06, 2026, 09:08:03 PM
I've never cared for MD.  I favor ubb code.
Title: Re: Markdown comes to Google Docs
Post by: ergophobe on October 06, 2026, 10:25:21 PM
Not my favorite but it has wide adoption so if you want all the writing tools of Docs like spelling and grammar correction, it's nice to have that and then export something clean to a CMS that can handle MD, which most do with an add-on

OTOH if you want to compose in a simple text editor distraction free and import to have the tools, you can put formatting in on the fly.

Fundamentally I'm lazy and prefer WYSIWYG.

But I did for a while compose in Docs and export MD and then import that into WP as my standard workflow because that allowed me to keep basic markup without importing all manner of junk formatting