The Core

Why We Are Here => Water Cooler => Topic started by: ergophobe on October 06, 2026, 08:26:41 PM

Title: Child mortality has fallen everywhere
Post by: ergophobe on October 06, 2026, 08:26:41 PM
https://ourworldindata.org/data-insights/child-mortality-has-declined-in-all-world-regions

Of note - child mortality (under 5) across Latin America is now less than half what it was in the US in 1950. Africa which was 10x the US rate in 1950 is still 10x the US rate, but that is only 2.3% more (6.1 vs 3.8) than where we were in 1950. And I suspect that, if you exempted a few strife-riven regions of African, it would be a much better number

Have you updated your vision of Africa accordingly? This is always hard for usas we get older. Despite being a fan of Hans Rosling, I'm always a bit brought up against the fact that my view of the world is still influenced by the world that existed when I was a child.
Title: Re: Child mortality has fallen everywhere
Post by: rcjordan on October 06, 2026, 09:15:55 PM
>updated your vision of Africa

Some, the buzz about the Equal Earth map projection replacing the traditional Mercator map helps with sizing --which didn't come out right when looking at, say, air travel times.  And I see countries with some more modern-ish cities.

That said, news headlines about the burning of Ebola clinics severely tempers my positive views.