Main Menu
Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - littleman

#1
That's a really interesting idea for artificial thinking.  Us humans do a decent amount of thinking in vision too.  I think for a lot of us it is used as a verification of possible reality.  There is also the instinct level or reflexive type of thinking -- where our brain reacts faster than our comprehension.

Would a self-driving car be a SLM version of a visually thinking engine?
#2
>Toyota says the hydrogen tank capacity was reduced by 20%, while range increased from 100km to 300km. When it's time to refuel, the Sora can be topped up in just 10 minutes.

That's the strength of hydrogen vs. battery right there.  Plus, if set up right I think hydrogen could be safer than the equivalent energy in lithium batteries.  Hydrogen can be stored high on a vehicle and in carbon fiber tanks that crack without sparking and vented into the atmosphere. Batteries are usually stored low due to weight, underneath the passengers.  BTW, electric busses are kind of fun to drive.
#3
The irony.  It should be Johnson and Clinton if they want to highlight presidents who balanced the budget.
#4
Oh, my mistake for posting after just misreading the quote.  I am getting pay-walled.
#5
Economics & Investing / usdebtclock.org (Go full screen)
September 20, 2026, 10:17:20 PM
https://www.usdebtclock.org/

Be sure to move your mouse around to get the tidbits.
#6
This comes down to what we consider a human right.  I don't think work is usually considered one of them.  UBI vs the right to labor is an interesting debate imo.  What is  capitalism when labor loses it's value?
#7
Hardware & Technology / Re: Hermes Agent, LLMs and SLMs
September 14, 2026, 02:44:23 AM
I don't really know Bakedjake.  That's an interesting idea about hiring Turks and it makes sense.  I have been doing a lot of digging on the world of contractors.  There are several different types in California and they do different types of business.

From my initial research there are contractors at different levels.  The ones I do not want to target are the large "Class A" engineering contractors, "Class B" general contractors or the residential only "B-2".  What I want to target is Specialty Contractors "Class C". 

This could be broken down into different categories:
C-10 Electrical
C-20 HVAC
C-27 Landscaping
C-36 Plumbing
C-39 Roofing
C-8 Concrete
C-9 Drywall
...


The big players (Class A & B) subscribe to big platforms like "ConstructionConnect" and other "enterprise" level services, but those cost $5k to $10k a year.  The residential contractors wouldn't be interested in this service because it doesn't apply to them.

Class C contractors either work commercial, home owners or public sector. What I am aiming for is a service to make getting those public sector jobs easier to find.  The more I look into it, the more of a mess I find.  A contractor could manually have to check 50 plus sites to find work.  The good thing from my perspective is that California make these Class C contractors who are looking for public sector bids register and make their names available as public record.

#8
Hardware & Technology / Re: Hermes Agent, LLMs and SLMs
September 13, 2026, 07:17:30 AM
For the information based ideas there really isn't any tools that I am seeing, more like notifications email/SMS.  For commercial fleets there is a hodgepodge of regulations in the United States.  We have the federal, state and local laws to navigate. 

On the construction side I am thinking to just shoot them an email offering them a free month.  If they find the information useful then they could subscribe.  I think this could actually be a valuable service.  I've been going through my local government websites (city/county/schools) and they are all over the place when it comes to layout.  I am sure it's quite a pain for the typical contractor to navigate all that.  I am thinking weekly summaries and alerts when a new project goes live.
#9
Hardware & Technology / Re: Hermes Agent, LLMs and SLMs
September 13, 2026, 01:50:37 AM
I have been doing a bit of digging on different models to try out. 

A couple of obvious ones are:
  • site audit
  • reputation management

Both would be fairly easy to deploy, with site audit being particularly easy and low cost.  The reputation monitoring/management would be a little harder because of unauthorized scraping  or having to pay to use someone else's scraped data.  What's turning me off to both of these is that they both have a lot of market saturation.  Though there are an endless amount of potential customers there is also an *almost* endless amount of companies trying to get their attention.

I have considered going ultra-niche and focusing on California school bus operators.  This is a space I currently now a lot about.  I would monitor the California Highway Patrol, California Department of Education, DMV, CARB, NHTSA, and the California Legislature and post any relevant/actionable news for the local industry.  The strengths here is that I am in that space and also that there isn't much being done in it.  The drawback is that news is slow, the market is small and there is potential liability if I and the bots get something wrong.  I think the liability part could be mitigated with disclaimers and with sighting links.  The potential customer base is also a lot of managers who work in public sector fleets, so there also may be obstetrical for them to subscribe to the service.

Two I am currently considering:

1: Broadening out the school bus monitoring service, but make it for all commercial vehicles. That makes the market 100 times larger and the potential audience is mostly private sector where spending for information that can save headache and money is a lot easier.

2: Scraping local government websites for municipal construction opportunities.  The upside here is pretty good.  Government websites are all over the place in the way they post information.  As far as I can see there is low liability if I give wrong information.  If the contractor misses a job posting that's bad for business, but I am not going to get sued over it.  It should be an easy purchase without much red tape.  I could start locally and expand -- repeating the model as I go.  Every city, county and school district posts bids and there are thousands of contractors (HVAC, electrical, fencing, paving, tree trimming, ect.).
#10
Hardware & Technology / Re: Hermes Agent, LLMs and SLMs
September 09, 2026, 01:47:53 AM
I don't know about read access.  That might be a setting available in Gmail, but I haven't looked into it.  I did use it to send myself a test email.  When reaching out to the world I am going to have Hermes have it's own accounts so that there is a wall between it and my personal information.

I am setting up a dedicated "server", an old desktop I use to use for work.  I am going to be running it headless (no GUI interface) and use tmux to have a persistent session with Hermes that I can log in and out of while keeping Hermes running in the background. 

My goal is to build a low effort information based businesses with a subscription model.  I am still working out the plan, but it seems like an interesting experiment.  I want it to be 99% automated and I am going to document the process. 

It isn't going to be anything fancy, I will be using Hermes the way someone would be using a smart intern to get the bulk of the work done.
#11
Hardware & Technology / Re: Hermes Agent, LLMs and SLMs
September 08, 2026, 12:07:30 AM
> "give it your messaging accounts"

I messed with email.  Google has a app token system where you can give an app a unique password and limited access.

#12
Hardware & Technology / Re: Hermes Agent, LLMs and SLMs
September 07, 2026, 09:43:23 PM
>How are you using it and how are you sandboxing it?

Use Docker, a VM or a machine without any sensitive information.

https://hermes-agent.nousresearch.com/docs/user-guide/docker
https://openclawlaunch.com/guides/hermes-agent-docker
#13
Hardware & Technology / Hermes Agent, LLMs and SLMs
September 07, 2026, 08:39:47 AM
You all should be looking into Hermes.  A couple of years ago we had a conversation about AI driven projects that can manage other AI systems and get actual work done.  I am just diving in now, but it looks quite capable.

https://hermes-agent.org/

https://hermes-agent.nousresearch.com/

#14
Water Cooler / Re: Quotes that hit home
September 04, 2026, 06:50:05 PM
That's interesting, it is like 'try' vs. 'will'. 

Example:
"I will try to lose weight" vs. "I will lose weight"

Saying "try" is giving you an out.
#15
I have been reading about how the younger generation isn't drinking much in the USA either, but from what I am seeing with my 21 y.o.'s friends at UCB the drinking culture is very much alive and much worse than my group of friends at the same age.  One of her friends that also went to the same high school as her ended up in the emergency room and had his stomach pumped. Anecdotal, but I don't think the trend is universal.